This ceiling deserves a post of it's own. Sitting here I've pondered how to describe the process of this make-over and I figure the photos will probably convey most of the story. Lots of wood, huge room and very dark atmosphere. Debate raged between family members and friends about how to tackle this expanse. Should we go with a whole new lower ceiling or fill every knot, sand, undercoat and paint or plasterboard and retain the unique design. So after much discussion we settled on filling the knots in the beams, sanding and painting white and the plasterer laid board over the rest and then we painted those too. The difference is astounding and I'm happy we maintained our ship like ceiling because it's a delight and a talking point with visitors.
Mr redroses and I painted the ceiling (and every other wall and ceiling in the house after painstaking preparation) and let me tell you it was a massive undertaking. Saved us bucket loads of money but I do not wish to paint another house again in my lifetime thank you very much.
Three of these gorgeous glass light fittings are placed in this family area. Overall the room has turned out beautifully and I'm pleased we considered all options before rushing in and making a huge mistake. If at all possible we like to retain as much character when renovating and work with the house, not against it. Saves a lot of heartache in the process.
I'll reveal the whole room once it's 100% completed with furnishings.
Tell me, do you love/like/detest holding a paintbrush?
xx
Stunning!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great space.
Hi miss Annie
ReplyDeletelove it - it is so ship like - there fore you had me at hello
luuurrrvvveeee the lights too.
Ok - painting - well I haven't painted interior for 7 years now!
I was very heavily pregnant and doing great squats getting down low for the wainscotting :)
I think it is the complete power you have over your "canvas" - you have complete control as to what kind of job you are going to do, the process, the outcome, the result! I would dearly love to paint again (not that it really needs it - but I would love someone else to do it.
We had our outside and our roof painted 3 years ago now and it still looks fabbo.
have a great night and see you on your blog again soon
x
Loulou
Wow, can't wait to see the final room! What a massive undertaking.
ReplyDeleteI don't mind painting - but not walls!
Hostess, Loulou and Kathryn ~ thankyou girls, it is a stunning space and really is the area we live in most. Hubs and I are very particular about painting so it's easiest to bite the bullet and do ourselves.
ReplyDeleteWhat a gorgeous open space! It is looking fabulous, however am sure the whole process is requiring lots of hard work. Fifi
ReplyDeleteThanks Fifi and yes it sure has!
ReplyDeletehey honey! I liked it very much post! will now be much here!
ReplyDeleteI invite you to walk through the mine and to follow me if you like!
kisses, Claire.
c.o.c.o.
http://lookingforthestyle.blogspot.com/
What a great idea to paint your lovely ceiling white, and clever to lay plasterboard between the beams. It will look magnificent when finished. Painting? Only for the very young and fit! We painted the entire interior of our first home ourselves, and lots of furniture as well. Over that now :)
ReplyDeleteClaire ~ hello! and thanks for commenting
ReplyDeletePatricia ~ spot on observation P, painting is for the young & fit. Neither of which I felt during the process!
ReplyDeleteHate holding a paintbrush, we too have just finished a big paint job. Your ceiling looks amazing.x
ReplyDeleteThat ceiling looks great. You're a better person than I to paint it yourself, it really is a massive job. And it looks as though you're very meticulous. The end result is fabulous. Amber
ReplyDeleteSomething gorgeous ~ hello and yes paintbrushes can be a love/hate relationship!
ReplyDeleteSpots & Stripes ~ hi there and yes meticulous to the point of driving ourselves crazy!
Hi Annie, Popping over here from A-M's blog. Love what you are doing in your home, and what a ceiling! I'm afraid that I'm not a painter and will get bored after half a wall as I'm so impatient.
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the lovely world of blogging.
x
Thanks Beth ~ I confess I have the impatient gene as well
ReplyDelete