Monday, September 19, 2011

Going Organic


Do you choose to eat organically grown foods?
Occassionally I like to indulge my family's taste buds on food which tastes like it did when I was a child. Unfortunately the cost is somewhat expensive but I've discovered that choosing wisely and only buying exactly the amount I need there is no wastage. 
Yesterday I called into the organic produce shop and stocked up on some goodies. Every week I remind myself to get organised and check out one of the farmers markets in Brisbane as I believe they are very worthwhile. 



To reduce this cost we have constructed a small makeshift vegetable patch in an area that will eventually be landscaped and the proper bells and whistles vege garden will be housed in another area in raised beds.
We've planted cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, eggplant, lettuce and silver beet. The architectural structure comprising of old fly screen doors is to keep out the bush turkeys. The turkeys don't bother eating the growing produce but they do like to scrape the dirt and mulch into enormous piles. Hence we've not gone overboard and have only planted a few things as an experiment in hardiness.

On a previous property we enjoyed a huge vege patch and ran free range chooks and Mr redroses would love chooks again but I'm being a meany and saying no because we could never bring ourselves to 'do away' with the old girls once their laying days were over and so we nurtured and fed geriatric poultry for years after their productive lives ceased. I'm sure the old timers around about had a good giggle at our expense.
Dare say I shall just keep paying extra for free range eggs.





Yesterdays lunch was thick cut spelt fig and pistachio nut bread with organic cheddar, tomato, avocado and chutney. Rather yum. I am not a fan of figs but the flavour in this loaf is subtle.
Another reason to purchase a decent mixer to start making my own bread again.




Then amaranth apple slice. Pity I was out of cream. Please note I do not always serve goodies on fine china, when I'm overdue for lunch and the old blood sugar is in free fall I could practically eat the brown paper bag too!



Sorry but here is another gratuitous rose photo. I'm beside myself with excitement to see these blooms on my wee rose bushes. The perfume is divine and leaves the shop bought specimens for dead in this regard.




Do tell.....are you into organic produce, do you mind paying extra for it and what is your favourite food item in the organic line?
xx

19 comments:

  1. Annie - Oh I won't actually but the trousers, I just limit myself to wanting these days!
    That sandwich looks so good, I toyed with the idea of growing my own veggies but I hate slugs and worms and if saw them on the veg I'd just stop eating veg altogether.
    I would like to always buy organic chicken and beef but sometimes its just out of my budget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabs ~ oh I was so looking forward to a photo of you wearing those pants.
    I know, the cost, it is somewhat prohibitive. That's funny..re the worms and slugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We grow lots of our own veges, especially salad stuff. I do balk at the prices of the organic stuff so sadly for us it is more of an occaisional rather than often purchase.
    PS I would be beside myself if my roses looked that good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that sandwich looks amazing. I do try to buy organic, but sometimes it's just too expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb & SG ~ I'm thinking we are all on the same wavelength re cost. Since my hungry son moved out I can afford to purchase more often lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a couple of those hungry boys at my house and there is no filling them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SG ~ haha My hungry son calls in and makes a beeline for our fridge. I'm sure he lives on pasta done 101 ways!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aha, Annie, you too have a yellow rose! Aren't they lovely?
    I don't often buy organic produce, only because of cost. But that Fig and Pistachio bread - lead me to it!! The sandwich looks totally delish, perfect for a weekend lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patricia ~ red roses have always been my favourite but this yellow is fast becoming a serious threat to that loyalty!
    How is the sewing coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your garden and LOVE your yellow rose. The farmer's markets are brilliant. My favourite is the lady farmer from Stanthorpe- her been and leeks and salads are 1 million/10. Really. I would never buy these things elsewhere - run don't walk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Annie, what a fabulous post. The food you have made looks delicious. I think you have made a really good point about buying exactly what you need. I do try to buy organic food, but at the same time I am not fanatical about it and it is not always possible or affordable. The organic butcher at Paddington (The Meat-ing Place) sells delicious organic/free range eggs. Your garden is looking terrific too. Fifi

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are on the same page Annie. As you know from my long post I buy all organic, it's worth it. I also have a veg garden which supplements my delivery, of course now we have frost here so goodbye to all that. Last year I grew eggplant and it was the best thing I ever tasted. I hope yours is a big success!
    I am laughing about your geriatric poultry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. FF ~ I'm going to get organised and run to the markets, everyone says they are brilliant. Isn't the yellow rose divine!

    Fifi ~ Thanks I'll check out the butcher's eggs . Have been meaning to call into this business.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dani ~ I also laugh about those chickens and how they became pets. I think the mistake we made was giving them names.
    I hope the vege's are a success too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your lunch looks so healthy and it must have been delicious. I buy mostly organic veggies, chicken and free range eggs all the time.
    We have zucchini, tomatoes, beets, garlic and swiss chard growing in The Humble Bungalow garden.

    Your yellow rose looks very pretty...would love a sniff of it's perfume!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely lovely rose!

    Good luck with your garden!

    We have been very lucky that my parents still plant a very large garden every summer and they give us lots of veggies; a co-worker also brought cucumbers and corn to share. We sometimes buy organic but not all the time as it is quite expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hostess ~ oh I wish you lived nearby then you could sniff my yellow roses. Free range chicken and eggs are essentials on my shopping list too.

    LR ~ how wonderful to share produce with your parents and co-workers. So it appears buying organic is costly in Canada too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Miss Annie

    I love love love fresh produce as often as possible.
    I try to buy some organic but sometimes the cost for us blows the roof as I buy so many veggies and fruits.

    I am a big Juicing fan - and love the farmers markets at anytime.
    I find when I buy from a marketeer I usually use all of the produce from the fridge where as sometimes I can have wastage (and I hate wasting) when I have purchased from a supermarket.
    go figure - one of those unexplained phenomenon's!

    Look at your prize rose - the leaves as well as the petals are even perfect!

    I think next years RNA will have a new entrant.

    have a wonderful day lovely lady

    x


    loulou

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loulou ~ I too have noticed how a juicer gobbles up produce. We are a bit slack when it comes to using our juicer, it tends to sit in the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete

It's all about sharing...
I value and appreciate your comments. Thank you for dropping by...