Monday, October 17, 2011

Fabulicious Jam Drops


My Jam Drops are gathering a reputation and a lovely reader has requested the recipe. 
So lets start a jam drop revival and embrace these beauties in all their retro fabuliciousness.

Many of the old time home cooking and baking treats are winging their way back into our hearts which quite frankly is just marvellous.




Before I divulge I would like to introduce you to my battered, dog eared, pages falling out, 20 year old recipe book. Buried in her pages are family favourites.
Several attempts recently to replace this book by copying into another model or onto recipe cards has failed dismally. Somehow I felt like a traitor and couldn't bring myself to abandon this treasured asset.
My children have grown up with it's pretty strawberry pattern and I know my daughter wishes to inherit the contents one day.
Only if it lasts the distant and hasn't totally disintegrated!



The following recipe was given me by my mother-in-law when I married. Mr red roses mum maintained a constant supply of baked goods in her home (sensible when feeding four kids) and the bickie/cookie tin in particular was never empty.

Biscuit Recipe                                                      
1/2 cup soft butter                                               
1/2 cup sugar                                                  
1 egg                                                                
1 1/4 cups SR flour                                            
1 tsp cornflour

Cream butter & sugar
Beat in egg then fold in sifted flours
Place small ice-cream scoop portions onto
baking tray.
Make a dent with end of round wooden
spoon and fill with jam.
Moderate oven 180-190C  /12-15 min


An easy peasy biscuit recipe and one the whole family loves. Let me know how long these last in your house!

Happy baking and eating!

Ps..I almost forgot to mention the inspiration for this post is attributed to a recipe request from Blue Fruit at 'Glamour Drops' x

Annie xx

16 comments:

  1. These look delicious.
    I'll try these but I will need to use marmalade as I have no jam in the house. They will be a nice treat with tea.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look very tasty and I'll deffo give them a go next time I've got a housefull! Love your recipe book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good! I love yummy treats like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie,

    That does sound simple and delicious. My girls will love making them with me. We have Junior Masterchef fever in the house at the moment :)

    Kel x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hostess.. marmalade works brilliantly

    Mrs E.. I love that book too and I'll be sad when it finally falls totally apart

    Morgan.. hello and thanks for commenting

    Kel.. how did those wee kiddies learn to cook so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! what a hoot and delighted to be the inspiration behind this post.

    Only trouble is, I think I will need to at least DOUBLE the ingredients, or they won't even make it off the cooling rack in my house! Virginia xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The next book on the best seller list "The Red Roses and Crystal Cookbook!" I'll buy a copy, if you come and cook all your beautiful dishes too! You're making me hungry! Thanks Annie you'll make a cook out of us no-cooks yet! Have a great day x Jode

    ReplyDelete
  8. Virginia.. my pleasure, we bloggers need all the fodder we can get!
    Let me tell you, these biscuits don't last long so a double batch sounds very sensible x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jode.. you know, it's funny this blogging journey, never ever expected to post recipes! This is what happens with a super duper new oven, my love of baking has returned, mind you I only whip up easy retro concoctions.
    I'll mail you the first copy lol, just don't hold your breath! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Annie

    Looking delicious as always - maybe there is a Red Roses cookbook to come :)

    You never know?

    Don't you love those time honoured cookbooks that we just can't part with - cooking stains and dog ears - it's part of the history.

    have a lovely day


    loulou

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just sat down with a cup of tea and let me tell you, one of those jam drops would go down a treat right now!
    I've actually started baking again, now that we have bench space - two cakes in the space of seven days, that's two more cakes than in the past 6 months!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loulou.. your right it is history and I'm enjoying embracing that concept, now that my age helps me feel quiet historic at times!

    Kathryn.. dare I say 'you are on a roll girl'! I hold the belief that extra bench space or a new oven works wonders for churning out the goods.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lotus.. Hi there and yes it's dead easy. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look so impressive and yet I'm so happy to see how easy they are to make. Also love the fact that those ingredients should always be to hand. Another recipe to add to my old and battered recipe book. thank you.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beth.. my pleasure. I agree, those ingredients are always at the ready so this recipe is a great 'go to'.

    ReplyDelete

It's all about sharing...
I value and appreciate your comments. Thank you for dropping by...