Monday, July 30, 2012

For the Love of Dogs


This morning I instagrammed two photos I snapped this morning of my dear little pooch soaking up the sun. As some of you don't Instagram I thought I'd share here.

Her aim in life is to keep warm and so she toddles around the house following the sun even climbing a stack of cushions for the best position. I suppose when you're a 12 year old pooch the simple things in life are the most perfect.
As I sat looking at her I reminisced about the joy and unconditional love she has brought my family. Her needs are few other than to be fed, given shelter and loved. This I am proud to say we provide in abundance. I have no time for folk who buy a pet then grow weary of it only to mistreat, harm or dump the animal.

Tessa is sitting beside me as I type...my constant beloved calming companion.


Annie xx











30 comments:

  1. Lovely post Annie. I love Gus to bits but as I type this I can hear him barking at the back fence. You see, he thinks the park at the back belongs to him and the poor innocent people going for their afternoon walk are intruding. Better go and bring hime inside. Enjoy the sunshine Tessa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gus..a great name and I reckon he is a bit of a character? How dare those nasty people run in his park!

      Delete
  2. She is so lovely Annie. Poodles ( I gues that's what Tess is) are such great dogs, and of course I add doodles into that mix too. So loving, funny and intelligent. By the sounds of it my furry kid asks for a lot morethan yours - every 5 minutes she is snapping at someone to go get her a treat.
    I'm with you, I have no idea why you'd get a dog (or any animal) to toss it aside. It just doesn't make sense. The little dog next door was turfed outside when the baby came and he is so bored! He barks and barks at all hours. It gets frustrating, but it's not his fault, it's his bloody owners. We sneak him the odd treat and always say hello.
    A lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sarah Tess is a cross poodle/papillon which is a uncommon combination but I can attest its a great mix.
      Oh let me assure you she can get pouty. If she feels she's not getting enough attention she will jump on the sofas and knock the cushions onto the floor. But we forgive her :)

      Delete
  3. Hello, Annie ! Thanks for entering my give-away ... and for the Brie recipe ! We get it in portions in France but I will try it all the same. Your pooch looks lovely ; I got my first dog at the grand old age of ... anyway, last year. Her indefectible devotion and vivacity don't cease to surprise me. My cat is now 17, she sleeps a lot too and that makes me a bit sad. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SB, it warms my heart to hear you took a pooch into your care. The best part is the beautiful welcome when you walk in the door to see their happy wagging tails. I'm sorry to hear you are feeling sad about your cat but I do understand this emotion.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post, your Tess looks so comfortable cuddled up on those cushions. As you say the simple things are often the most pleasurable.

    My lovely constant companion Daisy is lying across the back of an armchair (her favourite place to be), watching over me and waiting for her morning walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, your Daisy has a beautiful mischievous face. I know you live in a beautiful part of the world so I'm sure you both enjoy walking in the gorgeous countryside.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, it is just not possible to keep your beautiful dog and whilst it breaks your heart you have to let them go to a new home!! My Winnie is 16, blind, deaf and demented!! She is missing our Souk! Love your photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jules I do feel for you terribly. What is it about pets that gets under our skin? I still pine for our last pooch..14 yrs with all organs failing and I had to make The decision. heartbreaking.
    Please give old Winnie a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to have a silky-terrier called Raffaello (Raffy)for 15 years, whom I still miss. He thought he was a person, he really did. He was in my wedding photos! Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raffaello (adorable name) sounds terribly cute. May we see a wedding pic one day M?
      Hubs family owned silkies..little rascals!

      Delete
  8. Tessa is so sweet! Little Rossi is just the same, following the sun around the house and garden, and following me about to check up on what's going on. My husband travels a lot and having the dear dog to keep me company is so wonderful. I can't imagine life without her, and I'm sure Tessa means the same to you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Mrs E, our dogs are brilliant company. When I'm on my own I talk to Tess all day and she listens, comprehends, agrees and never answers back! The ideal companion.
      Tess and Rossi would love each other.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Annie,

    This is so sweet and agree.. unconditional love, few needs.. just basic care. One of our english springers is 12 and the other is about a year old. Our senior has to wear a brace because she's torn her ACL and it isn't repairable except via ($4,000) surgery... so that's not happening. We know her days are limited now and love her all the more. She has had a wonderful life and continues to bring us joy on the daily basis. I might also add that she is a MOM to the puppy. She's always cleaning her.. so cute :)

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very sorry to hear about your senior and her troubles but as you say, she's enjoyed a rich life and will no doubt be responding to your love for her. We deliberated on getting a puppy to accompany Tess but with moving twice in three years and renovating it just never happened.
      Your pooches are adorable Leslie.

      Delete
  10. It seems our house is quite similar to your place Annie, the animals and children, (also often called animals too! lol) rule the house.
    Maddie, our old dame of the house also does the pillow climb too.
    You can't disturb them when they have gone to that mach effort! haha
    Have a great day.
    x Jode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jode, oh too true, I could never disturb her because it's so adorable watching themselves get those cushions sorted. I hear you re kids and dogs ruling the house!

      Delete
  11. Dogs are just the best companions ever, look at that little button nose, she's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabs, we love her to bits. I see a gorgeous little furry creature in your future Yes?

      Delete
  12. So lovely. Give her big cuddles from me. I worry about what will happen to mine when one goes before the other. They're so close to each other.

    tdm xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall give her a big cuddle from Aunty J. I can imagine how this thought would be quite unsettling for you :(

      Delete
  13. How gorgeous Annie. I was given an apricot poodle when I was 8 years old and she lived for 18 years. She was almost blind, almost bald and her beautiful apricot colour had turned white but she was still the most adorable creature. She died in her sleep one night and it was truly heartbreaking....I have wonderful memories of how she used to follow the sunshine around the house and she also used to hide little scraps of food in the corners of the rooms! I now have two cats and they are great company and good fun, but nothing beats a loyal dog. Tess is a lucky girl to be loved so much - just as it should be as I bet she gives it back in buckets too!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this beautiful comment Beth. Wow 18 is a magnificent innings and I won't be surprised if Tess makes it that far. In real life she appears much younger than 12. Apricot poodles are gorgeous.
    Wish I was a cat type but alas am not, cats are super easy I'm told.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What would i do without my 4 beautiful loving dogs.. I often ask myself that question. I sometimes give a few tears, knowing that their lives are shorter than ours ,-they are with me 24/7 and if i go away, they go to my X Manuel..who loves them just as much... I wish they could be with us forever. I have always had dogs. never 4. Mine are all small.. i have a little bichon frise..she is so cute.
    I totally agree Annie, people should not aquire or buy pets or be given pets if they dont look after them. those people, dont understand the word "PET". During summer here, so many dogs are abandoned , its sad and shocking.
    You didnt mention the name of your lovely little pooch! she looks very happy and cosy indeed.
    wishing you a happy wednesday with her.
    val

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Val, my little pooch is called Tessa. Every dog I've owned has been given a name starting with the letter T, I like the way it rolls off the tongue.
    Four dogs is a big responsibility and I applaud you for giving them a loving caring home.As Tessa ages I think too much about life without her I do feel sad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Annie, Tessa is so sweet, they don't ask for much do they. My mum just spent a week at our house while we were away looking after and spoiling my two doggies silly. They get so excited when my mum comes to visit, they almost forget I'm their mum.x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Samantha, I wonder if your dogs get away with murder when your Mum visits lol. It's great you have a willing sitter so you can avoid sending them to a kennel.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw! How cute! :) I love soaking up the sun too so I can understand your dog wanting to do the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Morgan, wintertime down here so it's all about chasing those warm spots!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about sharing...
I value and appreciate your comments. Thank you for dropping by...