Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Quick Tidy Up

My house has a little nook under the stairs which is one of those little nooks that often ends up in the too hard category when deciding how to fill in a space. After much debate and consultation with our cabinet maker (the banister and stairs have a slight curve making it problematic to fill in) we decided to, for the time being at least, erect some Ikea tables with several cane baskets which hold odds and bods like my sewing, the dog's stuff and sun hats. Instinctively I knew if this space was left without a semblance of order it would become a dumping ground for everyone's junk.
Yesterday I had a little tidy up and declutter. After one year in the house I couldn't believe how crammed the baskets were becoming.




While sorting through my vast collection of cottons from the sewing pile I rediscovered many which were passed to me from my mother who was a beautiful sewer. I have about eight containers of different colours.




Some of the reels are decades old. I'm not a hoarder and I declutter regularly but when it comes to cotton reels and buttons I find it difficult to let go. One never knows when one will need bright red thread or an odd shaped button.




During the tidy up I was reminded of an intricate cross stitch I started twenty five years ago. What are the chances of me ever completing it?
A new pair of eyes would help!

Annie xx

22 comments:

  1. I have a thing for old cotton reels and buttons. If I'm in a second hand store I'll have a look for some. And old wooden laundry pegs too.

    TDM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee I haven't seen an old wooden laundry peg for quite awhile.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Looks lovely!!! I had a very soothing pantry declutter this afternoon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello TPS, thanks for dropping in! I love that feeling of having everything in order and you are right, it is sooo soothing.

      Delete
  3. A very elegant solution to the space under the stairs, Annie. I love the pic of the pink and red threads - hope they survived the declutter! I have been quite the dreadful haberdashery hoarder, but during recent severe decluttering have let go of many of the old threads and buttons, and TEN unfinished cross-stitches. They have gone on to greener pastures, and my goodness, it is Soothing, isn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Patricia all the reels survived the declutter! Ten cross-stitches, wow, that is a lot. I do despaiir over my unfinished effort.

      Delete
  4. A lovely nook! I too have unfinished sewing and crochet projects all in 3 drawers and a cupboard, it's quite dreadful really. And let's not start with the scrapbooking..... I might pull some out and do something. Thanks for inspiring me! Mxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never took to scrap booking M, probably far too impatient. Hope you manage to get motivated again!

      Delete
  5. Hi Annie, it feels good to declutter, I love the cotton collection.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha, the reds and pinks are my favorites in the collection.

      Delete
  6. We must have both been inspired as I cleaned out my "junk" drawer in the kitchen yesterday as well!
    I like your under the stairs storage solution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your organisation puts me to shame! I really like your table and basket arrangement, it's a great idea to make the most of that little nook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SK, it's the best we arrangement we could think of for now.

      Delete
  8. Hello Annie, what a lovely post ! Those reels of cotton made me think of your friend FF. I love buttons and collected them at one time ; I still have a whole box of them though I have never sewn anything in my life ; maybe one day ...XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to think of a creative outlet to use up all of my buttons SB.

      Delete
  9. What a pretty collection of threads! I love seeing shades of the one colour, in fact I find it a bit exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Annie,
    I love your idea of the table with the baskets. I think we all need that kind of space. Ikea have some great things.
    It is amazing , how quickly baskets get filled with things we think we didnt need. I too dont hoard..but we need to keep some things just in case. I hve those big plastic containers, unfortunately no space for such a nice table.. it fits well there.
    I have been away for a while. Summer is a busy time around Rose Cottage... and its the childrens holidays.
    My grandniece is here from UK with me. we are all having a bonding time together.
    happy monday to you Annie, thanks for always leaving such nice comments on my posts.
    xxxx val

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Val, so lovely to see you popping in. I'm very happy you are enjoying the company of your beloved family.

    ReplyDelete

It's all about sharing...
I value and appreciate your comments. Thank you for dropping by...