Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Beloved Pieces of Furniture
As I pondered what to write for this post I decided to stick with another home theme to tie in nicely with The Decorating Forum (my little blog is featured this week).
The last four years has been tumultuous with selling an acreage property after renovating the old Queenslander house over two decades, the home in which we raised our family.
Then renovating a brick and tile house to live in all while searching for our present home which involved a relentless eighteen month search, then toil over this major renovation and redecoration spanning five months to revitalise this 1990's design, then sell the interim brick house, then move into this piece of paradise and we are still transforming this house.
Phew are you tired from reading that...you can imagine why it's taken me a year to come up for air and I still get myself confused trying to explain the sequence of events!
The old farmhouse we lovingly filled with antique pieces only to decide on a fresh start in a modern architecturally designed build. Hence this style of furniture did not blend at all with the modern aesthetic. Big decisions ensued and so we sold most of our furniture. Except for certain pieces which hold sentimental value. The big old dining table is made from recycled baltic pine and I discovered her after a long search, when I was pregnant with our first child twenty-six years ago. Countless happy memories emanate from her scratched, chipped service..family gatherings, children's homework, painting and play dough extravaganzas. In the old house antique spindle back chairs encircled this table but now a modern and comfortable padded chair surrounds her.
In fact the kitchen we designed was purposely planned around this dining table. While entertaining I like to have my family or guests seated within close range to be part of the action.
The teak console was my parents and this created quite the dilemma. It included an additional top piece with glass doors and shelves which sat on top. In total it just didn't blend but the decision was made during the move when the glass shelves shattered (our fault not the moving company) and so the top was donated to charity. I procrastinated about this inclusion but am now comfortable with the aesthetic it casts over the predominately white decor of my favourite room.
The rocking chair. Sourced for the birth of our first baby for moi to sit and feed and rock the babes to sleep. You know I nearly lost this chair and one day I will share the story. Never again will I let this piece escape my clutches. Mr red roses restored her as a surprise for my 50th birthday. I cried with joy.
Now I sit in the sun in my pretty room and ponder life and all it's mysteries.
Last but not least the duchess I saved my pennies to buy when the children were little. She was in a sad state when we bought her at auction but after being lovingly restored she has been a constant in our bedroom. An old piece in a modern room but it works.
My mother's beloved bedroom chair. Need I say more, this chair is cherished because it was my mum's and she adored it, not to sit in mind, purely for show!
I have enjoyed sharing this trip down memory lane. At the time of selling our prized furniture and my parents inherited bits and bobs (an old rambling farmhouse always has room for just another acquisition) I felt sad but comes a time in our lives when we need to let go of the past and downsize. As much as we wish to hold onto everything accumulated over many years it's not feasible.
Except for those rare pieces which grab hold of our hearts and won't let go.
Annie xx
Labels:
about me,
antiques,
architecture,
collectables,
decisions,
decluttering,
decorating,
furniture,
house,
hunting and gathering,
memories,
Mum,
ornaments,
renovating,
renovations
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Annie I love that you kept those items. As you say we face times when we have to replace items and let items go. But some items hold special memories.
ReplyDeleteI am moving to Dubai soon and not allowed to take any of our personal items except some photos. I nearly cried when sorting through our recipe books the other day. The memories of when we cooked certain dishes with our son and as a family. It is tough to give all this up.
I also think you have incorporated all your beloved items in your contemporary home beautifully:)
Oh JA that would be so difficult! Could you possibly sneak in just one recipe book for comforting vibes? I appreciate your thoughts on the furniture and glad you think the pieces we kept blend well.
DeleteThese pieces work so beautifully in your modern home pet. They add history and personality and happy memories. I love your home. A-m xx
ReplyDeleteThanks A-Me, your love of my home fills me with happiness.
DeleteAnnie your home is beautiful. The pieces of furniture you have kept will hold treausered memories forever. xox
ReplyDeleteSo true Lorraine and I could not have parted with every single 'old' piece..too hard.
DeleteSpecial pieces of furniture are previous, when they hold stories of family history. You make them work well in your modern home. Love that large dining table - I would never part with that one! Years ago I had a duchess just like that but silly me sold it in a garage sale. Sorry now! xx
ReplyDeleteOh Patricia I'm sorry you feel you made the wrong decision regarding the duchess as I have parted with items in the past and have wondered if it was wise.
DeleteOh Annie I have a whole house full of treasured family and memory pieces!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhen the house does sell and i move into my tiny little (but old again!!) cottage the decision will have to be made! I understand perfetly how you mst have felt and I love the pieces you kept!!! Thanks Ruth!!!!!!!
'Ruth' and I very much enjoyed our twitter discussion tonight Jules. Amazing how we tend to lead parallel lives with blog pals.
DeleteI am very pleased you have been able to hold onto some precious pieces. There are some things in our lives that tell the story of who we are and where we have been. These can never be replaced. They look lovely in your home. Your recent experiences of buying and selling reminds me of myself! Interesting! Giulia. X
ReplyDeleteOh and isn't it a huge task Giulia.. selling, buying, renovating. But we have lived to tell the tale!
DeleteYou have a beautiful selection of special pieces that indeed fit into any style of house. I too have a house full of special pieces. we have our own antiques, then I have inherited a lot of my mum's furniture and we are now in the process of clearing out my husband's parent's house which is chocca block full of very valuable antiques, that my husband says we have to fit in. But Our house is full, in fact overfull. I have no idea how I am going to do it, luckily we are on acreage and we can place a shipping container in the yard out the back, but I am going to have to move an awful lot of things about. I have asked him when he is bulding the museum extension and when the curator is arriving. The thing is with antiques, particularly chairs that they are so uncomfortable and impractical. There are some things that I just will not entertain the thought of replacing comfortable pieces with, and so many that need the old velvet replaced with something more modern. Also there is the matter that the pieces will be in storage for at least 3 years (until maybe our children need pieces for their homes) and then do you really give an 18 year old antiques? HHHmn I have a lot of worriesome times ahead.
ReplyDeleteBoy you do have some worrisome issues Jodie with where to put it all. We placed furniture in storage for almost three years only to decide we really had no use for much of it and some items looked very sad and neglected after being locked away for an extended period of time. Lol at 18 yr olds not wanting antiques..our son and daughter are not the least bit interested in antiques and declared we were not to bother hanging onto the old stuff for them!
DeleteYou clearly have an eye for good pieces - I love all these, especially the rocker! It's lovely to be able to hold on to treasures like these, I'm glad you still have room for them in your new house.
ReplyDeleteI like the pieces you chose to keep! They all seem to have a special reason behind them. :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful peices Annie! Mixing contemporary pieces with antiques is a great look an Ive seen it a lot recently. Furniture is so personal. If you love it.. it will work.
ReplyDeleteThanks fur sharing!
Annie, thank you for sharing your beautiful furniture and story of your homes. I love all the furniture pieces. The rocking chair made me feel emotional as I had one exactly the same but sold it when my youngest was 3 when he would rock on it standing up when I wasn't looking and of course one day flew off and hit a wall which was awful and we sold the chair for fear it might happen again. But I miss that lovely rocking chair. Mxxx
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely loving post. You put it all in words beautifully !xx
ReplyDeleteI am a complete sucker for treasured pieces. I love the tales that they hold and even though our kids might not see the value I would hate to think that they won't know the history behind our treasures. I might have to write it all down one day...
ReplyDeleteI think that they bring a lovely character to your home Annie.
x
You have a fabulous home to showcase your beautiful pieces. Love the dining table! Baked brie goes so well with it.
ReplyDeleteI haven't got anything with family history. We had a house burn down when I was a child so lost everything.
TDM xx
Annie I love that you kept those items because even i have kept some furniture with me because those remind me of the sweet memories.Love the piece specially chair.
ReplyDeleteOrthopaedic Office Chair