Monday, August 6, 2012

A New Lipstick and Hauling Out the Heavy Arsenal

I promised to tell you about my new lipstick purchase.
After reading a style post from Alexandria Emporium I convinced myself that yes siree I could sure do with a brand new colour. The lovely lady behind Alexandria Emporium is M. I feel comfortable following her suggestions because she obviously enjoys sourcing and conducting reviews on quality products with a good dose of common sense thrown in.

So I hot footed it to the Estee Lauder counter, chatted with the sales assistant and settled on 01 Stay Rose from their Double Wear Stay range. I have used EL products over the years and love them. This lipstick is divine to use, creamy and easy to apply although I personally prefer the use of a lip brush for even coverage and a definite neat line.



Which brings me to the following photo. My new lipstick and I went out to dinner with Mr red roses so I asked him to aim for a from the nose down shot (do tell.. are your partners used to you whipping out the camera at every opportunity?)
Anyway after noticing the wrinkles around my mouth I thought ekk! You see my face underwent brutally intense chemotherapy skin cancer treatments, not to mention having several BCC's surgically removed, and my skins elasticity has suffered. Since the treatments I've used natural organic skincare to heal and nurture but now I'm thinking I will use the heavy arsenal ie. the hydrating and firming serums which are sitting in my vanity waiting, pleading to be used up. Will my favored top gun treatments help restore my beauty youth elasticity. I have no idea, chances are no..but I may as well give it a shot and in the process at least feel a little more proactive in combating this aging business.
My early past life was spent working in the beauty industry and like it or not the art of looking presentable is etched in my DNA. I don't lose sleep over getting older but I'm sure as hell going to go down fighting.

This week, thanks to M I shall be checking out the new range of BB creams coming onto the market.
Dior sounds nice..
xx


31 comments:

  1. Thanks Annie for reading my lipstick review! Hope you enjoy the "Estée Lauder Double-Wear Stay-on-Lipstick as much as I do! Mxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Annie, I really like the "Stay Rose" colour on you too, it looks great! Mxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Until you pointed it out I didn't even notice any wrinkles! I was admiring the new lippy on your lips. I have had a BBC as well so am pretty paranoid about skin protection. I like trying new things but the older I get the more I want to use natural products.
    I'm off to check out Alexandria Emporium :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I never ever leave the house without sunscreen applied. Year round.

      Delete
  4. That lipstick color looks so pretty on you! That's a great color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that lipstick colour on you. You put my mucky paws to shame because you look beautifully groomed - cute little scarf as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sweet Sulky thank you. Leopard print works wonders!

      Delete
  6. You are smiling - of course you will have wrinkles lovely. But if you are looking for heavy hitting serums go to a Mecca store. They have amazing products and if you ask give you a sample to use for a week. That way you get a good idea.
    The other option is fillers. Not cheap but they achieve amazing results.
    Past beautician here too - I get the DNA comment lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smile wrinkles..I like this description JA. Will definitely investigate a Mecca store thanks for the tip. I was actually a hairdresser but prefer to say the beauty industry, Hair industry just doesn't have the same glamorous ring to it!

      Delete
  7. Any lipstick with Rose in its name is a winner with me! That is a lovely colour on you, and I like the sound of its creamy texture. Can't say I see any wrinkles either, but we all enjoy lovely skincare products to fight the ravages of time. And your nails look fab, too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have hit the nail on the head Patricia, we ladies like to treat ourselves to a luxe product occasionally just to enjoy the experience (wether it works or not). Thanks for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  8. Great colour (and scarf!) - I may try Estee Lauder for a new lipstick, my favorite EL one was actually a sample colour that was part of the makeup gift you got when you bought a perfume! Of course the lipstick was discontinued, I was so mad about that! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know..frustrating. I once had a Revlon shade that was perfect for me and they discontinued it. The sale rep admitted it was a stupid decision because it was one of Revlons best sellers.

      Delete
  9. Looking fab! So glamorous.

    When I bring out the big guns it'll be Botox and fillers. Tho having such an old bf has an added bonus of not really worrying as much about that stuff cause I always look younger standing next to him.

    TDM xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're funny. When you go for the Botox I'll come along and hold your hand.

      Delete
  10. To me you look wonderful - that lippy colour is just right on you, and I love your pretty nails. You do always look very polished and elegant, and that scarf is fun.

    I try not to get too excited about skincare - I don't really know how much you can expect, and some products are just SO EXPENSIVE! Horrors! At the moment I'm blending on my hand & then applying a nice mix of No. 7 serum (a present, using it up really), Dr. Hauscka's Rose Day Cream Light and a spot of Dior foundation. This gives a bit of coverage and above all saves masses of time (I am lazy!). Top off with a nice lipstick like yours, and I'm out the door! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs E. Yes I agree many products are outrageously priced and one has to wonder. Back in the day when I had cash to spare I bought Creme de la Mer once and I've read the naysayers but you know what, my skin felt Fantastic using this. Pity it costs a small fortune.

      Delete
  11. Annie! This is great and you've got the right idea on aging. .. and I know what you're talking about regarding those darn lip lines. Love the color btw :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn lip lines can be the bane of a mature lady's life I agree. The colour is a little deeper in real life, works well for our winter.

      Delete
  12. Love the lippy. As for the skin, I think you look fab, but one positive side effect from my MS, is that all the fish oil I'm having has really improved my skin. Cheaper than a serum. Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear the fish oil is affecting your skin in a positive way Kylie. I should ramp up my own intake of fish oil. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  13. Hello, Annie ! That shade looks lovely on you ; it's at the same time fresh, understated and classy. I love EL products, I am wearing Youth Dew today !xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too SB, I adore EL fragrance and have worn Youth Dew in the past. A classic scent.

      Delete
  14. Hi Annie, I'm with you, not worried about getting older but do like to feel like I'm presentable and care about myself. That's what makes us women and its fun!! I love this colour and will remember your recommendation next time I'm buying lipsticks. Check out Strawberry.net for amazing prices on all brands, free shipping and bonus gifts too! Shhh, I didn't tell you that! G.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ok G I won't tell.
      Actually I suspect my daughter has used this site and I really should embrace some online shopping because it's probably a bit cheaper.

      Delete
  15. Well you sure have sexy lips Annie!! ): The colour looks good. I love to buy new lipsticks, i dont use lipstick much, as i live here in the back woods.. but i do when i go out. I have to go for the more browny colours ..pinky brown.. as being a red head (was) all lipsticks dont suit my skin.
    I expect you will get stuck into those new products for your skin.. did you think of having a mini face lift.. ! it will get rid of the elasticity for sure.
    Onward with all the makeup and all the help we can get.
    The best makeup of all Annie.. is to be yourself.. wishing you a happy week. take care of yourself.
    val xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes you must not do anything but fight that aging business if you can. I am all for the heavy arsenals mixed in with the gentle gear at times! I love that colour any lippy does the trick for me as long at it doesn't leak out and isn't too garish!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about sharing...
I value and appreciate your comments. Thank you for dropping by...