...when I was planning to share more holiday photos (and I promise I shall) until I became side-tracked.
Holiday jewellery needed to be put away and this little exercise set me on a road of remembering and reminiscing. I am lucky to possess the only few pieces of jewellery my dear grand-mother owned.
Nana played an incredibly important part in my early years until she passed away at the age of 64 to cancer. I can still remember the day my mother told me that my beloved Nana had gone to heaven. I was 6yrs old and can remember the pain of this news as though it was only yesterday. Marquisette pieces were very popular when Nan was a young woman and among several pieces I have is this gorgeous brooch and clip on earrings. As I have pierced ears I've never worn the earrings but am considering having them remade to allow them a new lease of life.
My own collection of brooches is minimal.
As I sorted and lovingly placed the pieces away safely I pondered why this task seemed so important to me today. When I think of my Nan I think of my dear Mum. Everyone in my family calls her Nan even I do privately but nowadays when I visit her in her permanent care facility I call her Mum so I that don't confuse her unnecessarily.
You see my gorgeous mother suffers with Dementia and was first diagnosed in 2004. When I started this blog it was with the intention of writing about all the pretty things in my life and avoiding the unhappy so I decided not to bring my mum's story into the mix because while I am grateful for her everyday and she still brings such joy to our lives, well, her life is private and I get quite emotional when I discuss her circumstances. No amount of time erases the sadness, we just have to accept it is what it is.
The thing is I should invite her spirit to this little blog because she is the most remarkable woman I've ever had the pleasure to know. Her life at times has been fraught with tragedy and heartbreak. Yet she is a phenomenon and just keeps on going, fighting off life's adversity at every corner.
So...maybe there was a reason for me getting side-tracked today. It became apparent when I opened twitter to find this message from Alzheimer's Australia and I very much needed to share this information with you, even if you are not an Australian resident you will find this interesting because this dreadful disease which robs and takes our beautiful loved ones from us is a world wide problem and one that we all should be aware of.
campaign.fightdementia.org.au/the-campaign/letter-from-ita-buttrose/
youtu.be/lcFoZFxrsT4
youtu.be/elNEgZpFFlU
Thanks for taking the time to consider this info. Together we can make a difference.
Annie xx



Dear Annie,
ReplyDeletethank you for sharing this precious information. I joined the campaign immediately. The red cardinals have had many years of close experience of dementia in our respective families. It is a journey we make too, along with the loved one. I'm sure, like us, you have learned to find joy in the little moments, even in the care facility. All the other residents soon become part of our lives as well. I never thought I could go into a dementia wing and sing with and for them, but its amazing what you can do with life throws a curved ball. Give your Mum a special hug from me.
Patricia.. oh dear, scratch the surface and there are thousands of families going through this torment. Thank you for your lovely thoughts Patricia and I agree wholeheartedly. One has to make the best of a sad situation. My thoughts are with you too. x
ReplyDeleteHi Annie,
ReplyDeleteWhat a touching post. I'm sorry to read of your mum's condition and I think it's lovely that you can share part of her through your blog. I too have some of my grandmother's jewelry and it's a special tie isn't it.
Hope you have a lovely week.
x
Beth.. how wonderful you also have some of your grandmother's special pretties. I know you shall always treasure them. Thanks for your wishes x
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing some more about your life. I love getting to know people more. My grandmother passed away from cancer when I was 18 and it still brings tears to my eyes to talk about her. I loved her so much and she was such a joy to know. I understand what you mean about it being hard to look through their stuff because of all the emotions.
ReplyDeletesuch treasures! The tiny bag is such a darling!
ReplyDeleteYour post is rather timely as we have just learned that my husband's mother has Alzheimer's disease. We thought for years it was dementia but the diagnosis has just been made.
ReplyDeleteMy mother and my grandmother have profoundly influenced my life and although Grandma has been gone for many years her spirit remains close to my heart.
It is nice that you have some jewelry to wear and remember your Nan.
Annie,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing the stories of your Nana and Mum. It is lovely that you have a piece of them through such beautiful pieces of jewellery.
Definitely find the right jeweller to make the necessary changes to your Nana's clip ons! Wear them with pride.
Have a great day
x Jode
Hi Annie
ReplyDeleteA beautiful distraction to your day! My mum had slight dementia so I know what you are going through. Unfortunately 2 years ago my Mum passed away from Pancreatic cancer. I miss her terribly. I have so much of her around me, I think that keeps me going. Have a lovely day Annie. Mimi xx
Oh Annie, what a beautiful post. Your Mum would have loved it. It is lovely that your thoughts were drawn to her today going through your Nana's treasures. Life works like that doesn't it. A-M xx
ReplyDeleteLadies thank you for these heartfelt comments. This little blog is lucky to have found beautiful followers.
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you for sharing your situations with your relatives. Every moment counts.
As a wise person once said to me 'just Love her and the rest will fall into place' xx
Hello Annie,
ReplyDeleteI feel that your dearest mum is already with you in your blog!. I have a few friends with parents that have this sickness..and somehow, they say, that they feel somewhere they understand .. She will like to know you have mentioned her .. your nana's jewlery is so lovely. The little bag, you could make a necklace! and the earings , as you say remodel..but i like them as they are.
So you see, you were sidetracked ,with Nana's treasures..your blog is such a lovely heartfelt blog.. Only god above, knows when it is out time. We must live for today and love all we can and be close to our family.. Keep writing , love reading.. best wishes val
Val.. you are so sweet and I will tell my Mum she has featured here.
ReplyDeleteA necklace! yes why have I never thought of this idea. My Nan would not mind at all. The brooch is rather heavy and this is why I've never worn it.
Pink..I avoided it for many years but now I love it all over again x