Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Great Wall of China


Finding the right words to describe the Great Wall of China is difficult.
On arrival I pinched myself to ensure it wasn't a dream.
These photos are dark, gloomy and eerie due to the mist and this created a very spooky atmosphere. When my husband visited the Badaling section of the Wall several years ago it was spring and swarming with tourists like ants in a sugar bowl whereas we virtually had the place to ourselves for a couple of hours. Autumn is an ideal time to visit Beijing. 
My family are not lovers of tours rather we roam through countries at our own pace but in this case a guide is a sensible consideration. Our private guide was a young lady with reasonably good English, she picked us up in a cab from our hotel. The cab driver possessed hair-raising driving abilities and we embarked on the 70km trip northeast from Beijing. After conducting research beforehand we decided to visit the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall as it's quieter and not as touristy as the Badaling section. Although Mutianyu is further from Beijing my husband thought this section superior. On the return journey our little party stopped at a reputable restaurant for lunch and the meal of various dishes was superb.

Please if you ever get the opportunity to visit Beijing the Great Wall is a must. 



















A short gondola ride to the Wall from the village



An experience of a lifetime and one that left me mulling over the man-power and loss of life this extraordinary structure devoured.

Annie xx

10 comments:

  1. These photos are amazing - the weather gives them an incredibly spooky quality, as you say. I imagine it would leave one quite stunned. I'm sure you'll never forget this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are breath-taking!! Have been to HK loads but not Beijing, must go!

    L
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs E.. since we have returned home it's really hit me how fortunate I was to visit the Great Wall.

    Lotus.. would love your thoughts on Beijing, I believe one has to visit to form their own views of this city. Very different to HK in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing photos. I would love to have the opportunity to see the Great Wall of China. I remember when I was younger my Mum visited, she was amazed. Mimi xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What an experience. Thanks for sharing these magical photos. I could almost imagine what it felt like to be there. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are fantastic! Without the hoards of tourists in most of the Wall photos I have seen, these pictures are wonderfully eerie and atmospheric, as you say. You really capture a sense of the great age and history of the Wall. I've never been there, but now I want to! Can wait for more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is truly amazing and you have captured it beautifully. Worth framing some of these I think! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimi, A-M, Patricia, SG.. thanks for liking these pics, they actually came out much better than expected. Still using my dinky cheap camera too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an experience. I'm a bit of a weirdo ( in so many ways) I don't fly east, it just holds no interest for me, but your photographs are very evocative as always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures are amazing. It looks so eerie and quiet there. What an amazing structure though!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about sharing...
I value and appreciate your comments. Thank you for dropping by...