Last weekend Mr red roses and I attacked the study for a major over haul of files and paraphernalia which had accumulated. Everyone knows you keep important information for X amount of years and yes we had certainly done this. I cannot emphasis enough how the Mr and I loathe anything to do with paperwork, sorting and filing. I enjoyed having a good whinge on twitter!
The weekend in question was raining and so was the ideal opportunity to get this wretched job done.
A few sentimental treasures I rediscovered amongst the depths was my mother's first powder compact and the little case for her engagement ring. Now proudly displayed on my dressing table.
My father's typewriter. I have no connection or love of this machine but for some reason my husband does so it received another reprieve and sits majestically on a book shelf.
Of course sorting through stuff one finds lots to distract from the task at hand. I had kept some favoured programs from theatrical events and looking through these was like stepping back in time, the pages were yellowed, not unusual for paper that's 30+ years old.
Among the stash was my old lettering manuals from a evening trade course I did back in the day, when advertising posters and art work was done by hand using inks and nibs, paints and sable hair brushes. Computer graphics were still in their infancy but not long after I graduated, technology came along in leaps and bounds and ticket writing/poster art and calligraphy skills faded into oblivion. Thankfully this was only a hobby and not my main source of employment.
The following three photos I snapped from the pages of a 1972 Jesus Christ Superstar program. To this day I view it as the best stage production I've had the pleasure of attending.
Do you remember Brush-o-matics? My dad bought one and thought it was brilliant, he used to brush-o-matic everything in sight.
Arpege was the very first grown up perfume I bought when I started my working career at the age of sixteen. French fragrances and I have enjoyed a love affair ever since.
Here is a foxy looking young Andrew Lloyd Webber (wrote the music for JCS) rocking a long hair 'do'. Who knew he would be worth mega millions and a superstar in his own right?
This dictionary has been in my family since I was a tot and I still refer to it on the odd occasion purely because I adore a good dictionary. I lament that many children nowadays are not being taught how to use them and instead fall back on computer spell check. I don't hold with the argument that dictionaries are antiquated, learning to navigate them is a great scaffold to further learning and I made sure my own kids appreciated their value.
Nooo, I don't have furs hanging in my wardrobe. These vintage garments (fake and real) were part of a borrowed collection my daughter amassed for a photo shoot.
Just thought I'd throw this pic in for retro good measure!
So I'm very happy to say our study is now tidy with room to move and files refiled or put through the shredder. Speaking of which...the pile of paperwork to be shred was massive and I still have a small mound to dispose of but in true diva style the paper shredder was having a hissy fit due to overwork so I gave her a rest this past week.
Mark my words...We are never letting paperwork breed like that ever again!
xx
It is lovely to be reunited with old treasures isn't it.
ReplyDeleteCertainly is Deb and occasionally one can view them in a different light..or not!
DeleteIt must be such a relief to have that done! Just as well you did it before the no booze rule kicked in.
ReplyDeleteAlways fun when you unearth forgotten treasures.
TDM xx
It's a big relief TDM because it was weighing on my mind big time.
DeleteBig relief, eh? We have been sorting through our paperwork and it feels so freeing to turf whatever doesn't need to be saved!!
ReplyDeleteLove those vintage finds, you've come across some goodies lately! Can you believe that we still have to use a typewriter at my workplace? Not all the time, but we still need to have it for the occasional things you need to type in really quick on a document that has already been filled out, etc.
I am surprised a typewriter is still in use at your work but can see the advantage of it's availability for that purpose. Do you know it's vintage LR?
DeleteCongratulations of what was a rewarding decluttering project!
ReplyDeleteYou have some lovely nostalgic pieces; it is so special to have treasured objects which have been handed down the generations. Great theatre program collection .. a few years ago we handed ours over to the museum at QPAC, which was the only way I could let go of them. (But I kept one with Joan Sutherland's autograph!)
Gotta love those personal shredders - I hear Mr Cardinal's grinding away downstairs when he needs a bit of stress relief.. ha ha
Great idea to donate precious programs to QPAC Patricia..clever you.
DeleteOh yes there is something soothing about the incessant drone of a shredder!
Had a chuckle when I read about your paperwork breeding!
ReplyDeleteYou have some interesting stuff and just imagine the shame had you thrown out things like those theatre programmes.
My daughters teacher from last year used to make the students open a dictionary at a random page and find a word that they didn't know. It increased her vocabulary and has given us a game that we sometimes play in those "I'm bored" moments.
x
Thanks Beth, your first comment arrived. I'm really pleased your daughter likes to use a dictionary and the game you play with her is a brilliant idea.
ReplyDeletePaperwork does breed like rabbits at our place!
Our home office is next on the hit list after the 3rd bedrrom is finished. I'm already starting to shake with fear at the thought of the massive clean-up. I'm ruthless & chuck everything, the problem lies with MOTH who's a serial hoarder & won't part with a thing. I'm so envious that you've completed your task. Thank you so much for your lovely comment today Annie, what a sweet gal you are.
ReplyDeleteMillie x
Millie I had to literally drag hubs into the study to action this clean out, he was quite happy to keep his head in the sand. Good luck with getting Moth to be ruthless and declutter!
ReplyDeleteYou're a sweetie too x
I love that you have some of these special things, especially your Mum's engagement ring box and powder compact. That's really amazing.
ReplyDeleteSadly, most of my clutter is never terribly sentimental or special.
Once you marry and build a home Lilian then those treasured keepsakes will start to accumulate over the years.
DeleteYou must feel fantastic after such a clearout, but I'm glad you spared the treasures. Seeing that lettering was so funny - I can remember doing some graphics projects and sweating buckets over the placement of Letreset (sp?) transfers - how easy it is now! Your mum's engagement ring box and powder are lovely mementos, and Brush-o-Matic? I am still using mine! xxx
ReplyDeleteDead easy nowadays I agree Mrs E. I used to sweat buckets because once the paint hit the paper there was no going back and all work had to be Precise.
ReplyDeleteHa love that you still use a Brush-o-Matic!